Radiation Fallout Issue here on West Coast
March 18th, 2011
With the nuclear plant problems in Japan following the earthquake and tsunami disaster, many of us are concerned about the possibility of fallout and radiation here in America. Naturally, all of us desire to protect ourselves and loved ones. We here at Good Earth would like to offer a few natural suggestions.
Good Earth is experiencing great demand for potassium iodide, a drug that protects against thyroid cancer caused by radiation. Some scientists recommend mega doses of potassium iodide during the time of a nuclear event to protect against radioactive iodine being absorbed by the thyroid gland. Potassium iodide does not protect other parts of the body, only the thyroid. We are exploring all avenues to keep potassium iodide and kelp available for our customers, however the supply chain is being taxed and our supply will ebb and flow with manufacturer availability.
Because of our distance from the crisis in Japan, most health care practitioners we have spoken with are not recommending the mega doses of potassium iodide which should be reserved for emergencies. Instead, we would like to provide a list of food and supplements that are high in antioxidants, and may protect against the absorption of radiation and aid in detoxification:
• Sea Vegetables (high in iodine and have alginic acid for detoxification)
• Miso Soup (Dr. Elson Haas says “Miso may offer some protection”)
• Other supplements that may be helpful include Calcium Magnesium, CoQ 10, Glutathione (antioxidant for detoxification and protection), B5, and Essential Fatty Acids (to protect cell membranes)
• Holy Basil (for detoxification)
• Apples (high in pectin)
• Watercress (high in antioxidant glutathione)
• Buckwheat & Barley (high in antioxidant glutathione)
• Horseradish (high in antioxidant superoxide dismutase)
• Baking Soda (to protect kidneys take 1/2 teaspoon in water twice a day between meals)
Dr. Haas recommends herbal adaptogens such as ginseng, especially Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus), schizandra and ashwaganda may be protective as is milk thistle (silymarin) which supports liver detoxification. Sun Chlorella and other blue-green algaes may also be helpful. Also, the antioxidant nutrients that include vitamins A, C and E, as well as zinc and selenium may provide further protection.
Also Dr Haas said “Please realize that none of this is necessary at this time since we here in California are not being exposed directly to the problems occurring currently in Japan. If concerns about radiation levels increase in Japan, you are closer to the fallout, or we are finding increased levels here, we may need to become more proactive.”
Present concern over radiation should remind all of us of emergency preparedness and how important it is.
We hope that we have provided helpful information and our thoughts are with those in Japan.
|Printable Version||E-mail a Friend|